Wednesday 13 April 2011

SummersRadio™ I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing! New Music! Arctic Monkeys!

SummersRadio™ I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing! New Music! Arctic Monkeys - 'Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair'

Funny story... so yesterday when I saw that there was a new Arctic Monkey's song I thought 'hey - that might be postworthy'. But then I listened to it - more than once. I even slept on it, and decided that it was not. I also generally avoid dissing any particular artists or type of music, as I respect that different people like different things for different reasons. And with 7,102,985,475 humans in the world (as of the time of writing this - plus who knows how many more on other planets/other galaxies) it makes sense to have lots of different types of music. Everything has it's place - and in this case it's as a leadoff single - and filler for a career ending album.

So I wouldn't normally do this type of post, but I had to here as I felt rather strongly on this one - how terrible this song really is. My apologies if you love it, or think that the Arctic Monkeys can do no wrong - there are worse things out there - I know. At the risk of sounding too lowbrow - this song just pisses me off! They've fallen so hard - I mean, this is the band that holds the record for the fastest selling debut album for a band in Britain, right? Really?

I don't despise the Arctic Monkeys either - I have the first album and a couple EP's - I thought that 'I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor' was a brilliant single. However some might say that it's been largely downhill for the band since then. Some may even consider them to be one hit wonders (in North America at least). Even before I heard this song (the first official single) I was somewhat reluctant to post the first song (but not a single - 'Brick By Brick') to surface on the interweb from their forthcoming album. http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=4904777174084155113&postID=1414640791691524414 I still think it's a bad ripoff of a good ripoff - but it was the first new song and all - so I did it! I may or may not have been under the influence.

'Don't Sit Down Cause I've Moved Your Chair' is released digitally this week - and it's also available on vinyl on the 16th for Record Store Day! If the title of that single isn't clever enough for you, their fourth studio album is called 'Suck It And See' (I don't suck things that suck - it could create a dangerous vortex!) and is released on June 6th. And even if you look past the titles - the lyrics to the song itself are embarassing. Seriously. Did Rebecca Black write this song for them?

And musically it reminds me of Oasis when they ran out of ideas and just tried to sound heavier. If this was 20 years ago this might be considered cutting edge as a new grunge tune - but it's not even a good grunge tune - it's loud but it doesn't really rock. (coincidentally I have the Simpsons on in the background and they just said something like 'and let's all move to Seattle and use slow modems' - nice timing!) I think someone needs to call the band and tell them that it's time to break up. Now.

So to wrap up with the signature 'Enjoy' would clearly not be appropriate for this post. Consider this just a head's up then - to perhaps avoid this one. So... Beware!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment