Wednesday 22 December 2010

SummersRadio™ Best Of 2010! Top 10 Albums!

SummersRadio™ Best Of 2010 - Top 10 Albums! The Chemical Brothers - 'Escape Velocity' from 'Further' So since I have an account with the blog of all music blogs - The Hype Machine (http://hypem.com/) I was sent an e-mail suggesting that I submit a list of my Top 10 Albums Of 2010 for a chance to be featured on their annual 'Music Blog Zeitgeist' which launches on Jan. 3rd! Now this would be pretty cool I must say - but I've been posting my Best Of 2010 list by tracks, since many songs - and even more remixes - aren't even on proper albums. However if I was to commit to a list of my favorite (and let's be honest - all best of lists are favorites - be it of an individual or what is thought to be popular opinion) I suspect that my list would look something quite resembling this...


Now I agonized a fair bit over my choice for the number one album - as one and two are so very close for me - they were both total 'summer' albums - they both have solid tracklistings. 'This Is Happening' certainly has more going on lyrically - but the Chems arguably have more going on sonically - and yet the sparse lyrics they do have make for great hooks. It was a tough decision - but if I had to consider which one truly was my official summer album it was 'Further'. Picture it - Vancouver 2010 - warm summer afternoons. As I look out the window overlooking the beach and English Bay, the spinning disco ball in the livingroom is illuminated only by the sun's light - it's diamond shapes reflecting on the walls and shining through a slight bit of smoke brought on by B.C.'s finest export - and this song is playing in the background - it was perfect. There were some days when I just let the album play over 3 times in a row - and there aren't many albums you can do that with. Sadly 'Further' has been their least successful album commercially - their five previous albums all hit number one in the U.K. but this one didn't even chart due to one of the many rules in the British chart system. It also appears to be their first studio album not to go gold or platinum anywhere in the world - thus far. So perhaps 15 years on from their first album they're underdogs of sorts now - but I hereby declare this to be their finest album since 1999's pre-millennium opus 'Surrender'!


So I present now both my favorite track from 'Further' - 'Escape Velocity' - a 12 minute epic and obvious partial tribute to The Who's 'Baba O'Riley' (which is pretty electronically based if you think about it) edited down here to ten minutes to fit youtube's requirements - AND my list of Top 10 Albums Of 2010! This video is amazing too - I love the part about 8 minutes in that totally encapsulates the feeling of moving through the dancefloor at a big party - or dare I say it - rave! Enjoy!

p.s. please check out my 50 plus fantastic individual songs and remixes tagged under the regular Best Of 2010 label for the full SummersRadio™ experience!

SummersRadio™ Top 10 Albums Of 2010:

  1.  Chemical Brothers - 'Further' (cd+dvd)
  2.  LCD Soundsystem - 'This Is Happening'
  3.  Danger Mouse & Sparklehorse - 'Dark Night Of The Soul'
  4.  The Orb Featuring David Gilmour - 'Metallic Spheres'
  5.  The Morning Benders - 'Big Echo'
  6.  Unkle - 'Where Did The Night Fall'
  7.  Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip - 'The Logic Of Chance'
  8.  Crystal Castles - 'Crystal Castles II'
  9.  Sufjan Stevens - 'The Age Of Adz'
10.  School Of Seven Bells - 'Disconnect From Desire'


No comments:

Post a Comment