Monday 7 November 2011

SummersRadio™ And Now For Something Completely Different! Little Roy!

SummersRadio™ And Now For Something Completely Different! Little Roy - 'Lithium'/ 'Son Of a Gun' Jamaica's Earl Lowe - better known as Little Roy - released his latest album called 'Battle For Seattle' in September on the Ark Recordings label. 'Battle For Seattle' features ten songs - all Nirvana covers!

Naturally some songs work better in a reggae style than others - I've chosen a couple that I think translate well. First up is 'Lithium'. Hey have you ever thought you knew the lyrics to a song - like for years - but you find out later that a word you thought was one thing was actually a different word meaning something else? Since the first time I heard 'Lithum' - and everytime since - I thought Kurt was saying 'I'm not gonna cry'! Then when I listened to Little Roy's version I thought he sure does say cry funny - but it's crack! Kurt was singing about crack - err... cracking anyway - not crying. I like it - crack sounds edgier. It's funny to think that the irony was lost on me all this time. True story.

I actually find it quite peaceful when the 'yeah/ yay' part starts - as you expect abrasiveness but instead you get smooth laidback vibes - a pleasant surprise... Enjoy!



'Son Of A Gun' is not technically a Nirvana song - as they covered it from the Vaselines debut EP which was released in 1987 - and then included it on the their 'Incesticide' compilation in 1992. So this is a cover of a cover of a cover - but it's perfectly suited to be a reggae song. The lyrics totally work as dancehall - and it's about sunshine even! This is Little Roy's ultra chilled version of 'Son Of A Gun'... Enjoy!



You 'like'?™ Become a fan of SummersRadio™'s Facebook fan page here:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/SummersRadio/199636386720349

No comments:

Post a Comment